Reitz High School

Reitz High School
Evansville, IN

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Google Docs: Are You Writing a Research Paper?

Last week I attended the Google Summit right here in Evansville, IN.  Let's say, I thought I knew most of the the things that Google apps and docs could do.  Boy was I wrong.  Even after attending the summit for four full days, I feel like only the surface was scratched of what Google can do. One tool I would like to share with you today is the Google Drive--Documents Research tool.

Google docs comes with a research feature that allows you to search for sites, photos, and more via Google search.  You can even link and cite your sources directly from the tool.  From the tools drop down menu, the word "research" can be found in the list.  When you click on it, the research tool will appear over at the right-hand side.  After it appears, you will see a little arrow under the search box.


Click on the arrow and you will then see options for an image search filter and options for your citation format.  The image filter allows you to search for images that may be copyrighted or free to use.  The citation format gives you options for MLA, APA, and Chicago formats.  When you click in the search box, it will give you options of what you want to search for such as: everything which also includes websites or you can search images only, quotes only, etc...














I did a search for Abraham Lincoln.  If you search for everything, then you will get a big list of items such as images, web sites, quotes, and charts to view, insert, or cite.  Here is the cool part.  When you hover your curser over the web link you can preview it, insert the link into your paper, or cite your reference with one click.  Below shows you how the preview of the site looks.


The best thing to do is to just get in there and play with it.  As this tool was being demonstrated, I was thinking to myself, "If only this were available when I was in high school and college, it would have made my life so much easier."  This is an incredible tool that I think student could use from middle school all the way up through college.  Please try this and let me know what you think of it.

Lastly, here is YouTube video that will help explain the tool as well.



A few colleagues and I having fun at the Summit!

No comments:

Post a Comment