Reitz High School

Reitz High School
Evansville, IN

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Computer Labs vs. 1:1

I sure do hope to get some feedback on this post.  I have been told by two different people this morning that computer labs are all that our students and our schools need.  I was told that computer labs worked great before we started the 1:1 program that our schools have in grades 6 through 12.  Both individuals also believe that the devices that our students have are just a waste of money.

My question is, "How did computer labs work great?"  Teachers had to schedule a class to go to the computer lab.  If the lab was already signed out, then you had to alter your plans until a time could be found that the computer lab was not signed out.  Once you got in the computer lab, the project always took longer than expected and guess what?  You had to look on the schedule to find a day that you could come back.  By that time, the project your students started got deleted by another student that used the same computer or your students realized they forgot or didn't save it.  Does this sound familiar?  Again, "What worked with computer labs?"



I could continue writing more, but this week I really want to here from you.  How do you handle people that still have this anti-edtech attitude?  What kind of conversations have you had in your school district?  Please jump in and share your experiences with the naysayers.



2 comments:

  1. 1:1 allows to catch all those teachable moments! Learning in a 1:1 environment can be so much more organic, if the teacher is aware of what is going on. Students come up such great questions during the course of the day. With their own device, they can find their own answers.
    Computer Labs are also a great tool, but long live 1:1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also believe that constant access to a device is the world we live in. My phone is glued to me throughout the day. I look up the weather, phone numbers, info about the actor/actress in the shows I watch, meanings of words, it gives me reminders, take photos, and check email. Let's prepare the students for the world they are and will be living in. Computer labs are outdated in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete